Barcelona , 24 August 1998
Pedagogue and choir conductor
He studied piano with Ll. Torrà, flute with N. Carbonell and conducting with E. Toldrà, G. Wolters and Ph. Caillard. In addition, he studied pedagogy and music history at the University of Perugia and received his PhD at the U. of Barcelona (1976), where he was appointed professor. From that position, he promoted music studies in higher education. His professional activity included conferences around the world and conducting and promoting of choir music. He founded and conducted Coral Sant Jordi (1947-91), was president of the Federació Catalana d’Entitats Corals and was deputy director of the Europa Cantat movement (1960). He was also devoted to the promotion of Catalan music through record companies and was involved in the Antologia històrica de la música catalana. He made numerous recordings and transcriptions for choir. His advanced pedagogical task paired with his political commitment lead him to become member of the Catalan Parliament.